How Can You Help?
Life can change in an instant. It takes only seconds for tragedy to strike, leaving a once vibrant person struggling to relearn the most basic tasks of life. We see it every day at MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MedStar NRH). Yet, we are a place of hope, determination, and the everyday miracles that allow people to rebuild their lives - Adding Life to Years®.
As a not-for-profit organization, we rely on the generous financial contributions from friends and supporters like you to help us achieve tremendous results for our patients. Throughout its history, philanthropy has played a vital role in enabling MedStar NRH to create, enhance and sustain vital services, programs and facilities for our patients and their families through various funds and campaigns such as:
- The Adding Life to Years® Campaign will establish the National Center for Brain Injury and Stroke Rehabilitation & Research, a-state-of-the-art care and research center for patients with stroke and other brain injuries. This addition will also enable the hospital to transition from largely double rooms to fully private rooms designed to enhance patient satisfaction, safety and privacy while also providing comfortable family support spaces. Researchers investigating new brain plasticity therapies along with areas for physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology and neuropsychology services to promote optimal recovery will be co-located in this new space.
- The Patient Care Assistance Fund provides financial assistance to patients whose financial resources have been depleted so that they can afford much needed medical equipment, medications and extra therapy.
- The National Center for Children’s Rehabilitation, the only dedicated pediatric rehabilitation center for children in the Washington Metro Area, is a safe, colorful and upbeat center providing children with the finest rehabilitation care, education coordination and recreation activities.
- The Victory Garden is a beautifully landscaped area with fountains, gardens, trees and resting areas perfect for therapy, exercise and a place patients can relax with family and friends.
- Sports Program, a non-reimbursable but vital service, provides extensive adapted sports exposure to patients while also providing numerous community-based competitive teams such as wheelchair basketball, rugby, soccer and tennis, sled ice hockey, bicycling and sit volleyball.
Today, we find ourselves at a critically important juncture. Our tremendous programmatic growth over the past nearly 30 years is restricting vitally important services, so much so that we currently lack the space and the resources necessary to fully take advantage of opportunities that lie ahead. Your support today will make a difference in the future of MedStar NRH and our patients.
Thank you for considering a gift to MedStar NRH. We invite you to join us on our journey as we become the best place to give and receive medical rehabilitative care.
Edward A. Eckenhoff