The Stroke Rehabilitation Services at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital is one of the most advanced programs of its type in the region and has been designated a CARF-accredited Specialty Program for Stroke. Our program is one the busiest in the area as well. In a typical year, we will discharge more than 600 patients.
We treat individuals recovering from the effects of a stroke or cerebrovascular accident (CVA), including:
- Dysphagia and other swallowing disorders
- Foot Drop
- Sleep disorders
Stroke Rehabilitation Services Program Highlights
- Each patient has a care team that is led by their physician and includes: certified rehabilitation nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech language pathologists, a social worker, a psychologist or neuropsychologist, a recreational therapist and a nutritionist.
- Care begins with an evaluation of the patient’s injury and impairments; the team develops an individualized treatment plan, tailored to the patient's specific needs.
- The plan of care centers on physical recovery, along with the management of communicative, cognitive and behavioral issues.
- The team, along with the patient and their caregivers, collaborate to develop short- and long-term goals.
- The team works in an interdisciplinary fashion, with daily meetings to review and reexamine the progress of these goals.
- These goals could include improvement in walking, speech, memory, dressing, bathing and other activities of daily living.
- Both individual and group therapy is utilized, providing patients the opportunity to practice skills in different environments and to share their experiences with others.
- Our therapists often use the ZeroG®—a robotic gait and balance training system—as well as the Lokomat and LiteGait systems, to safely help patients learn how to walk again.
- Spiritual care services are available for all patients, families and caregivers.
- Because family members and caregivers are a critical part of the treatment team, we provide focused training to help them understand the potential changes in their loved one's behavior, ambulation, communication and ability to care for themselves.
- Education also focuses on the prevention of recurrent stroke, and helps prepare families and caregivers for the patients’ needs.
- Each patient receives a copy of our book, Managing Stroke: A Guide to Living Well with Stroke—an accessible and easy-to-understand guide to facing the challenges of life after stroke.
- Orthotics, braces, seating, mobility and rehabilitation engineering services are available on site.
- Because research is at the core of the advancement of stroke care, we offer many opportunities for patients to participate in clinical trials that are being offered at MedStar NRH or through one of our research partners. Learn more about stroke recovery research opportunities.
Before a patient is discharged, their team will recommend services they might need in order to transition to the next level of care. This could include our Transitions Neuro Day Treatment Program or outpatient services, including speech language pathology services, offered throughout our rehabilitation network. If needed, home care will be arranged for the patient, and may include services offered through the MedStar Visiting Nurse Association. Our job is to build a road map for your recovery — and to support you along the journey as you rebuild your life.
Outpatient Stroke Rehabilitation
Learn more about Outpatient Stroke Rehabilitation Services at MedStar National Rehabilitation Network.
For assistance with getting back to work after your injury or illness, we can help link you with your state vocational rehabilitation agency.
To learn more about the Inpatient Stroke Recovery Program at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, please call
Outpatient Stroke Rehabilitation Services are conveniently located throughout the region. Click here to learn more about the locations of Outpatient Stroke Recovery services
- Aphasia Clinic
- Aphasia Mentorship Program
- Aquatic Therapy
- Augmentative Communication Clinic
- Driver Training
- Neuro Day Treatment Program
- Pain Management
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Seating and Mobility Clinic
- Spasticity Clinic
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Managing Stroke: A Guide to Living Well After Stroke (NRH Press publication)
- Stroke Comeback Club (support group)
- MedStar NRH Adaptive Fitness Classes (Adaptive Boxing, Open Gym and Circuit Training)
- National Stroke Association
- National Aphasia Association
- American Heart Association