Nationally Renowned, Comprehensive Care for Spinal Cord Injury and Illness (SCI)
The MedStar NRH Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program offers comprehensive inpatient, day treatment and outpatient care components—offering top quality services from onset of illness or injury through a successful transition to home, community and employment.
We offer the most advanced rehabilitation medicine and technology available anywhere—and have a robust research that every day contributes to our knowledge about spinal cord injury and illness.
Today, people with spinal cord injuries most often lead fulfilling lives and resume active roles in their families and communities, and careers. At MedStar NRH, we focus on the whole person, helping patients meet the challenges they face physically, medically and socially, allowing them to reach the highest level of health and independence possible.
Patients in our Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program benefit from our role as a teaching facility and access to clinical trials of new rehab interventions. In addition, our Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation program is accredited by the Joint Commission and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)—which means it meets and exceeds the highest standards of care.
Why Choose MedStar NRH Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program?
- Our spinal cord injury and disease patients benefit from a highly comprehensive continuum of care fostered by the hospital’s partnership with acute care hospitals and community resources throughout the region.
- For more than 30 years, the MedStar NRH program has emphasized continuity of care by providing inpatient, outpatient, and day rehabilitation to our Spinal Cord Injury patients.
- Care is provided by a multidisciplinary team of doctors, nurses and therapists have specialized skills and certifications in Spinal Cord Rehabilitation.
- Patients benefit from the hospital’s role as a teaching facility with resident training in rehabilitation medicine, as well as internships in nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, recreation therapy and speech-language pathology.
- Our staff is actively involved in spinal cord injury research and MedStar NRH is home of Rehabilitation Research and Training Center (RRTC) on Secondary Conditions in SCI, which is focused on ways to improve the health and lives of people living with SCI.
- The team works hand-in-hand with patients and families on improving the quality of their life, preventing secondary conditions, and enhancing their ability to participate in meaningful activities.
- Individualized treatment plans are developed to facilitate patients’ maximum function, wellness and community reintegration.
- Patients benefit from the latest technology and sophisticated therapeutic equipment is integral to the rehabilitation process.
- Community outings help patients learn how to navigate and participate in the community.
- Patients have access to a full-range of specialized services, including education for wheelchair use, driver training, employment and educational counseling and at-home and worksite evaluations.
- Our program puts a strong emphasis in adaptable fitness to enhance function after patients’ transition into the community—and to promote long-term health.
- Our Male Fertility Clinic—one of the first of its kind in the U.S.—offers help to our male patients who wish to conceive children.
- MedStar NRH’s spinal cord injury system of care is internationally accredited with the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), which promotes the quality, value, and optimal outcomes of services.