Unique Spinal Cord Injury Day Treatment Program
The SCI Day Program is an alternative for those persons who are medically stable and no longer require around-the-clock nursing care but who can benefit from intensive treatment within a daily routine with minimal nursing support.
A Wide-Range of Services
Day program participants receive individual and group Occupational and Physical therapies, as well as Social Work services. Depending on your needs, your day program treatment plan may also include:
Advanced Therapeutic Technology
Therapy areas include state of the art equipment including: RTI FES bikes, Bioness® L300 plus and H200, weight training, ZeroG 3D dynamic body weight support system, standing frames, gliders, Lokomat®, and Ekso® Exoskeleton
What You Can Expect
- Most services are delivered in the outpatient therapy gym, Independence Square®, the Victory Garden, and as needed, the pool, the Seating and Mobility Clinic, and the community for outings. In addition, you can expect the following:
- Average cost of $600 daily, if not covered by insurance.
- The length of time someone is in the program varies from person to person. A typical stay in the program is 4-6 months, with an average of 65 visits of physical therapy and 50 visits of occupational therapy. (2016)
- Therapy 2-3 hours a day, 2-4 days a week.
- Interpreter services are not provided for those with limited English proficiency, but are available for patients who are hearing impaired.
- Goals for each individual patient are established upon admission to the program, and are routinely updated during the patient’s episode of care. Patients are discharged from the program when they no longer require the PT group, no longer have goals for OT and PT, or are no longer making progress towards their goals. In many cases following discharge from the day program, patients may benefit from additional treatment in a traditional outpatient therapy setting. Referrals to outpatient services or other services in the community are provided upon discharge from the Day Program.
For more information about the SCI Day Treatment Program at MedStar National Rehabilitation Network or to make a referral, please call
Claudia Guzman, Office Coordinator at 202-877-1439
The Transitions Team
Katie Seward, Physical Therapist
Sarah Anscher, Physical Therapist
Sarah Ouwerkerk, Occupational Therapist
Jessica Lawson, Occupational Therapist
Judson Richardson, Program Co-Director/Social Worker