MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network offers a full-scope of therapies for spinal cord injury and illness patients in several outpatient centers across the region. Individualized rehabilitative care plans focus on those therapeutic options each patient needs to promote and maximize health, wellness, participation and return to the community.
- Our outpatient Spinal Cord Program boasts three physicians who are board-certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Our outpatient physical therapists have special experienced working with people with SCI—and some have advanced clinical specialty certification in neurology.
- Outpatient services are aimed at returning patients to the community and employment, and at preventing long-term problems associated with spinal cord injury/disease.
- Depending on the patient's needs and goals, treatment may include occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology and neuropsychology, rehabilitation engineering, social work, speech-language pathology and therapeutic recreation.
- During outpatient therapy, patients participate in a variety of activities, which may include the use of FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) with stationary bikes, as well as mobility and exercise equipment.
- Outpatient therapists also work with patients to develop home exercise regimens.
For assistance with getting back to work after your injury or illness, we can help link you with your state vocational rehabilitation agency.
Make an Appointment
For more information about the Spinal Cord Program at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, please call
- Lorraine Vinci PSYD
Co-Director - Spinal Cord Program
- Pamela Ballard, MD
Attending - Spinal Cord Program
- Suzanne Groah, MD
Director of SCI Research
- Richard Zorowitz, MD
Attending - Outpatient Clinic