The NRH Medical Rehabilitation Network offers comprehensive therapeutic recreation services to adults, adolescents, and children with disabilities to help them lead independent, satisfying lives. These services include a variety of activities to enhance independence and physical, cognitive, emotional, and social functioning. Therapeutic recreation services are provided to persons with disabilities resulting from:
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Cardiac conditions
- Other orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions
- Other neurologic conditions
NRH’s therapeutic recreation specialists are experienced, credentialed professionals.
Therapeutic recreation services offered by The NRH Medical Rehabilitation Network include:
- Assessment of the person’s leisure interests, skills, and goals
- Development of an individualized therapeutic recreation treatment plan
- Support in continuing past leisure activities and identification of alternative, enjoyable activities (such as wheelchair sports, gardening, art, music, computer activities, hobbies) that will enrich the patient’s life as he or she works to return to the community
- Outings into the community to develop mobility, decision-making, and other skills needed for independence
- Patient, family, and caregiver education about the value of leisure activities and how to initiate or continue in such activities
- Information about relevant community resources (such as sports organizations)
NRH therapeutic recreation specialists work closely with other NRH rehabilitation team members, including physicians, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, rehabilitation engineers, vocational rehabilitation specialists, speech-language pathologists, social workers, and psychologists.
Therapeutic Recreation services are available at the following locations: