Our Driver Training Program is the only fully accessible program in the Washington metropolitan area. The program helps people with disabilities and older drivers who wish to return to driving or learn to drive for the first time. The Driver Training Program staff is made up of licensed and registered occupational and physical therapists and rehabilitation engineers who are experienced in working with people with a variety of disabilities.
The program offers services ranging from in-clinic evaluations and education to assistance with purchasing adaptive equipment and vehicles. Available services include:
- Clinic evaluation to assess motor, visual, and cognitive skills that may affect ability to drive
- Behind-the-wheel evaluation in the program car or wheelchair-accessible van to assess the driver’s ability to drive safely in different types of traffic and get in and out of the vehicle
- Behind-the-wheel training with any necessary adaptive equipment in the program vehicles to improve driving skills
- Assistance in preparation for the state road test
- Use of program vehicles for taking the state road test
- Equipment prescription for adapting a vehicle with necessary adaptations
- Information on vendors that sell and install adaptive equipment in vehicles
- Advice on finding a place to buy special driving equipment and getting it installed correctly
- Suggestions for financial assistance to adapt cars and vans to meet the individual’s needs
- Consultation with family members about the driver’s abilities
Eligibility requirements for the Driver Training Program include:
- Stable health
- A current driver's license or be eligible for a learner's permit
- A desire to return to or begin safe driving
- A doctor's order that specifies "OT/PT Rehab Engineering Driver Evaluation and Training"
- The ability to pay for each session before service begins, with the understanding that health insurance does not cover driver training.
Driver training services are available at the following locations:
Make an Appointment
For more information about the Driver Training Program at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital, please call