Why Choose Our Pediatric Rehabilitation Services
NCCR: The Pediatric Post-Acute Care Experts
The National Center for Children’s Rehabilitation (NCCR) at MedStar NRH is a unique collaboration between the pediatric acute care experts of Children’s National Health System, and our team of pediatric rehabilitation specialists.
Located just steps away from Children’s National on the same medical campus, NCCR is meeting an unmet need for the region’s children. We’re raising the bar for care of pediatric patients with neurological and orthopedic injuries and illness—and providing expert care close to home.
The Center’s team of pediatric rehabilitation specialists—physicians, psychologists, nurses and therapists—treat the multiple physical, cognitive and behavioral effects of injury or illness. It’s an integrated approach to care that promotes each child’s optimal growth and development.
Why Choose NCCR for your child’s recovery?
- Our pediatric rehabilitation team is focused on the treatment of patients between the ages of three and 18 who have significant functional limitations.
- Care is provided in a state-of the-art, child-friendly and secure 12-bed unit in the MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital—located just steps away from Children’s National Health System.
- Every plan of care is tailored to each individual child’s needs—and delivered by a multidisciplinary team led by a pediatric rehabilitation medicine physician, and including pediatric experts in nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech- language pathology, social work, psychology, neuropsychology, therapeutic recreation, education and nutrition.
- Care is family-focused, featuring overnight accommodations for one parent or caregiver, a weekly family support group, frequent family conferences, and family dinners for patients, parents and siblings.
- A gym, playroom, therapeutic garden and adaptive playground provide inviting environments for play and therapy.
- Adaptive games, arts and crafts, and interactive video and computer games enhance participation and treatment and provide peer-to-peer support to help motivate children to participate in their care.
- Our education liaison serves as patients’ advocate ensuring that education continues during their stay, helping to ease transition from hospital to school, and acting as a communication bridge between teachers, parents and physicians.
- Case management will assist the child and family with coordinating a safe discharge plan from MedStar NRH. The case manager works with the child and family to plan for the child’s ongoing rehabilitative care and to explore resources available after discharge from the hospital.
- Our Adaptive Sports Program offers kids lots of opportunity to participate in sports once they leave the hospital.
- Patients and families consistently rate the care they received as excellent or very good.
Numbers tell the story—of success, satisfaction, and hundreds of lives restored to health, function and happiness. To learn more about our program outcomes, please click here.