Occupational therapy (OT) services are offered throughout the MedStar Health Physical Therapy. These services offer adults, adolescents, and children skills needed to lead independent and satisfying lives.
All MedStar Health Physical Therapy occupational therapy practitioners are skilled professionals who are trained and experienced in their specialty areas.
Services are provided to persons with disabilities resulting from:
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Cardiac problems
- Work-related injuries, including lower back problems and repetitive stress injuries
- Sports injuries
- Other orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions
- Other neurologic conditions
These services include:
- Assessment of skills needed to perform activities of daily living
- Customized treatment designed to improve patients’ abilities to carry out the activities of daily living
- Comprehensive home and worksite evaluation and recommendations for needed adaptations
- Recommendations and training in the use of adaptive equipment
- Patient, family, and caregiver education
MedStar NRH occupational therapists work closely with other rehabilitation team members, including physicians, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, rehabilitation engineers, therapeutic recreation specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, speech-language pathologists, social workers, and psychologists.