Neurologic and Neurorehabilitation Services
Our brains represent one of the last great frontiers of humankind; understanding them is a challenge that will pave the way for as-yet-unimagined possibilities. Inspired by such possibilities, doctors and researchers who study the brain and the nervous system discover new wonders every day about how humankind thinks and operates.
We use a team approach to effectively treat some of the region’s most complex cases of brain injury, stroke and neurological disorders, including:
Comprehensive Regional Outpatient Neurorehabilitation Program
MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network’s Outpatient Neurorehabilitation Program is one of the Nation’s most advanced. Informed by groundbreaking research conducted at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital—and staffed by nationally respected experts—the program focuses entirely on boosting recovery from injury to the brain and nervous system.
Researchers at MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital are learning more about how the brain functions and about how to harness brain plasticity—the brain’s amazing ability to heal, adapt and change. This critical research is helping us develop new rehabilitation interventions and improve outcomes for our patients.
Every day, we’re putting this knowledge into practice treating adults and children with complex brain injury, stroke, spinal cord injury and illness, as well as a host of other neurological disorders.
Conditions We Treat
Unique Day Treatment Program
Our Neurorehabilitation Day Program, offered at MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network’s Irving Street location, is designed for people who are medically stable and able to live at home, but whose daily lives can be improved through organized, intensive outpatient therapy. Participants take part in individual and group treatment three- to five-times-a-week for approximately fivehours-each day. In the Day Program, an emphasis is put on developing and reaching individual goals—and helping patients carry the skills they learn into community settings.
Depending on individual needs, a patient’s treatment plan can include a range of services including medical care; psychological, recreational, physical, and occupational therapy; and speech-language pathology.
Outpatient Services throughout the Region
MedStar NRH Rehabilitation Network outpatient centers located throughout the region offer a full-scope of therapies for people with neurological illness and injury. Pediatric outpatient neurorehabilitation services are also available at several centers. Outpatient care often follows inpatient hospitalization, but can benefit patients at any time during their recovery. Individualized rehabilitative care plans focus on those therapeutic options each patient requires to maximize health and their return to their fullest possible lives.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physicians—called physiatrists—coordinate outpatient care. They work collaboratively with therapists, physician specialists and primary care physicians to evaluate patients’ needs and to develop a treatment plan to reduce the multiple effects of illness and injury.
- Neuropsychologists specialize in helping patients deal with cognitive problems that can accompany neurological illness and injury. They help patients adapt to their condition and work with them to improve their quality of life.
- Physical Therapists utilize a variety of techniques and advanced technology to promote patients’ mobility, reduce pain, restore strength and function, and prevent disability.
- Occupational Therapists help patients improve skills of day-to-day living so that they can participate fully in their community—at home, school or work.
- Speech-language Pathologists assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice, fluency and swallowing disorders, including aphasia and dysarthria.
MedStar NRH Neurorehabilitation Outpatient Program also offers a host of important special services designed to boost recovery and eliminate barriers to patients’ best possible life.