LSVT LOUD™ and LSVT BIG™ Treatment for Individuals with Parkinson Disease (PD)
What is LSVT LOUD™?
LSVT LOUD™ is an effective speech treatment for individuals with Parkinson Disease (PD) and other neurological conditions. Published research data support improvements in vocal loudness, intonation, and voice quality for individuals with PD who received LSVT LOUD™, with improvements maintained up to two years after treatment. LSVT LOUD™ improves vocal loudness through a systematic hierarchy of exercises. The treatment does not train people for shouting or yelling; rather, LSVT LOUD™ uses loudness training to bring the voice to an improved, healthy vocal loudness with no strain.
What is LSVT BIG™?
Recently principles of LSVT LOUD™ were applied to limb movement in people with PD (LSVT BIG™) and have been documented to be effective. Specifically, training limb and body movement (Bigness) in people with PD has documented improvements in amplitude (trunk rotation/gait) that generalized to improved speed (upper/lower limbs), balance, and quality of life. The protocol is both intensive and complex, with many repetitions of core movements that are used in daily living. This type of practice is necessary to optimize learning and carryover of your better movement into everyday life!
LSVT LOUD™ and LSVT BIG™ are globally standardized treatment protocols delivered by physical and occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists who are certified in these programs. Treatments delivered by LSVT certified clinicians consist of the following:
- Four consecutive LSVT LOUD™ or LSVT BIG™ sessions a week, for four consecutive weeks
- Sessions are individual one-hour treatment sessions
- Daily homework practice (all 30 days of the month)
- Daily carryover assignments (all 30 days of the month)
- A singular focus on amplitude (increased loudness in speech; bigger whole body movements)
- A focus on sensory recalibration to assist in generalization of increased loudness and bigger movements outside of the treatment room.
Patients should complete an evaluation with a LSVT clinician to determine if LSVT programs are appropriate. A physician’s prescription for a medically necessary evaluation and treatment (4 days a week for 4 weeks) is required for LSVT LOUD™ or LSVT BIG™.