Arm Amputee Program
The Arm Amputee Program at MedStar Health NRH is an innovative program addressing the dynamic physical, psychosocial and functional needs of those with arm loss. Our physicians, prosthetists, physical and occupational therapists, social workers and researchers have extensive experience and are trained in the most advanced technologies. This enables them to better understand the complexities associated with upper limb amputations and to implement the most effective plan of care for each individual.
Providing More Than Physical Care
The Arm Amputee Program is a trusted and leading resource for individuals with arm amputation. Our goal is to not only provide medical treatment and physical rehabilitation, but also to meet the all the needs of our patients.
- Highly specialized expert clinicians
- Sports and leisure equipment modification
- Adaptive driving program
- Resources for employment counseling
The Arm Amputee Program is dedicated to:
- Providing comprehensive rehabilitation services to enable our patients to quickly return to their lives
- Utilizing the most advanced equipment and procedures to improve, whenever possible, an individual's current function
- Advancing the care of people with arm loss through clinical and scientific research
- Training the next generation of physicians, therapists and orthotists
The Arm Amputee Program is staffed by a team of physicians, prosthetists, physical and occupational therapists, social workers and researchers who have extensive experience in medical rehabilitation and a focus on post-amputation care. These experts work closely together to develop a customized plan of care for each patient. The team members consistently communicate throughout the patient's rehabilitation program, making adjustments as necessary to help restore each patient to optimal health and functioning.
A Team Approach
The Arm Amputee Program is based on a team approach that leads to the highest level of independence and quality of life possible for our patients. That's why we encourage, enable and expect our patients to play an active role in planning their own recovery. The benefit of this approach is optimal results, which are achieved through a rehabilitation program that is uniquely tailored to the individual.