No Limits Adaptive Fitness Program
Medstar NRH Adaptive Fitness program offers multiple avenues for individuals with varying physical abilities. Individuals with physical disabilities have as much need (if not more) for physical activity to promote healthy living as do able bodies individuals. Being physically active decreased their likelihood of developing secondary conditions, including coronary heart disease, respiratory disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, overuse injuries, muscular imbalance and pressure sores. With increased physical activity we aim to build and improve strength, muscle endurance, flexibility, functional abilities and overall mood and confidence. The fitness classes can be specifically fit to the needs of the individual by our certified trainers.
Fitness classes are held on a weekly basis, at Medstar NRH Irving street location. 102 Irving Street, Washington DC NW. 20010.
This program is made possible in part thanks to The Gordon and Marilyn Macklin Foundation.
- Monday Adaptive Sports Conditioning: This class uses high intensity conditioning and metabolic drills to focus on the resistance and cardio training to help improve any athlete’s strengths and skills. Led by William Thompson from Dynamic Conditioning, a personal training culture built on education, and dedication that customizes every training situation to help improve strength, endurance and uncover weaknesses. http://traindynamic.com/
- Classes held at East County Community Center 3310 Gateshead Manor Way Silver Spring, MD 20904
- Tuesday Open Gym: Focuses on resistance training with weights using specific rep and set methods depending on the individual, this class is lead by DPI Adaptive Fitness Trainers Pablo & Katie.
- Thursday Boxing Based fitness: Focus is on cardiovascular strength and endurance, balance, core stability and bodyweight resistance as Adaptive Fitness Trainer Devon Palermo leads an Adaptive Boxing Fitness class including a warm up, 12 3 minute rounds of traditional boxing drills and a cool down period.
- Saturday Open Gym and Circuit Training: a circuit training program that includes warm-up, a 10 exercise circuit, and cardio station. This program uses the benefits of high intensity interval training to improve muscular strength and endurance as well as exploring new and different exercises options that individuals may be interested in trying.
About our Trainers:
DPI Adaptive Fitness is a company that has specialized, dedicated and reliable trainers. DPI Trainers hold a strong background in physical therapy, personal training, boot camp, boxing, group exercise, and adaptive fitness. Their aim to set realist goals and to provide services that can safely yet aggressively push people to perform beyond their own expectations. www.dpiadaptivefitness.com
Check out photos and videos from our fitness program.
No Limits Adaptive Fitness program is headed by Harsh Thakkar, SCI Peer Wellness Specialist.
For more information, questions and to inquire if this program is appropriate for you, please contact:
Harsh Thakkar at [email protected] or