MedStar Health Profile:
As the largest healthcare provider in Maryland and the Washington, DC region, MedStar’s 10 hospitals, the MedStar Health Research Institute, MedStar Medical Group, and its many other programs and services are recognized regionally and nationally for excellence in medical care. MedStar National Rehabilitation Network has over 50 locations in Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware and provides inpatient rehabilitation services at its flagship hospital in Washington, DC as well as at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
Medical Director, Spinal Cord Injury Program, MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN) seeks an experienced spinal cord injury physician who will develop and lead its Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Program. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of experience in spinal cord rehabilitation and be responsible for direct oversight of the spinal cord injury rehabilitation program including inpatient and outpatient care. Clinical duties are based at MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital (MGSH) and include inpatient rehabilitation SCI unit, inpatient call, and two half-days per week in the outpatient clinic. The candidate will have opportunity for spasticity management, including the use of chemodenervation and intrathecal baclofen pump management. The candidate will be responsible for vent management of SCI inpatients. The SCI Medical Director will collaborate on SCI research studies with MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital (MNRH).
The candidate will be eligible for a faculty appointment commensurate with his/her experience in the Department Rehabilitation Medicine at Georgetown University Medical Center, the academic partner of MedStar Health.
- Medical degree - MD, DO or equivalent
- Completion of an accredited residency program
- Fellowship trained (preferred)
- Licensed for the practice of medicine in Maryland
- Board certification in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation or other primary specialty with SCI fellowship training or board certification
- Board certification in SCI (preferred)
This is a full-time employed position with MedStar National Rehabilitation Network and our website is www.MedStarNRH.org. We offer highly competitive benefits and a compensation package that is commensurate with training and experience. Professional malpractice and medical liability are covered by MedStar Health. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities. MedStar Health is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to achieving diversity among its faculty and staff.
Interested candidates should send their curriculum vitae to:
Curtis Whitehair, MD
Interim Vice President of Medical Affairs & Chief Medical Officer
(202) 877-1504 [P]
(202) 829-3487 [F]
About MedStar National Rehabilitation Network
At MedStar National Rehabilitation Network (MNRN), we've been treating adults and children with disabling illness or injury for more than 30 years. We're the post-acute care experts helping our patients regain independence, return to their community, and their lives. We offer the very best in rehabilitative services, including:
- Award-winning inpatient care, with 137 licensed beds at our flagship hospital in Northwest Washington, DC.
- Unique day treatment programs.
- Outpatient services at numerous sites throughout Washington, DC, Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Delaware.
- Home care through MedStar Health Visiting Nurse Association.
- Accredited by The Joint Commission and CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
- CARF Accredited Specialty Programs in: Amputation, Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury, and Stroke.
- An interdisciplinary team approach to care that puts the patient first.
- Advanced rehabilitation technology, such as the ZeroG gait training tool and AlterG anti-gravity treadmill.
- International leader in rehabilitation research.
- Respected center for the education of rehabilitation professionals.
About MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital, with its rich history of providing health care and services to the communities of northeast Baltimore, was founded in 1968 through a gift from local merchant and philanthropist Thomas J. O'Neill. The hospital is a 246-bed adult care community teaching hospital with 165 acute care beds and 69 rehab beds. Comprehensive services includes intensive and cardiac care units, an expanding number of innovative medical and surgical capabilities, and primary care physicians and specialists who are rated tops in their fields. As a MedStar Health hospital, MedStar Good Samaritan joins with the other hospitals in the MedStar family to advance health through medical education, research, subsidized health services, charity care as well as a host of community health programs.